Travel Diaries: Devon

September 20, 2017

During the much awaited bank holiday weekend (which has now sadly been and gone since you are reading this and yes, I know this is extremely overdue) my boyfriend and I decided to visita place in England called Devon AKA The English Riviera. I have been to a lot of coastal towns during my short amount of years on earth, mainly the typical ones such as Brighton, Hastings and the oh so lovely Southend-On-Sea.

We left Surrey at 6:30am (waaaaaaay to early for me and most probably any other human at the weekend) and headed straight to Mcdonalds for a super nutritious breakfast and a pick me up coffee. After driving for what felt like forever we hit traffic and let me say I was not pleased at all until I realised that we were driving past Stone Henge which in real life is quite a treat to see. I have to admit I do not know an awful lot about the famous sight but the fact that I could now tick this off my bucket list of British sightseeing locations was a bonus. We drove for another couple of hours before finally making it to Brixham, Devon.

Seeing as it was both our first time visiting this coastal destination we were super excited to see what Devon had to offer. Let me just say we were by no means disappointed. Not only were there dozens of independent shops and restaurants there was also your traditional British high street consisting of Boots, Superdrug and Tesco - just to name a few. We stayed at a family members house which was only a 10 minute walk into the main harbour area, Oh, and can I just say how lucky we got with the weather?! Not a cloud in the sky.

On our second day we visited Torquay via a ferry boat and as you will see from the photos below we stopped off at a place called Living Coast (a coastal zoo or am I just stating the obvious). It was lovely to see marine animals in a place where they are truly being looked after. I have to say I am not a fan of zoos or animal captivity in general but from what I saw and read about the Coastal site was home to many abandoned and rescued animals.

On our last full day which Sunday and we spent the day lazily wandering through the cobbled streets and picking up some obligatory coconut ice and vanilla nougat. We eventually stopped for a glass of wine (or should I say beer for my boyfriend) at a lovely bar/restaurant called the Old Market House which has gorgeous views across the harbour and trust me, you could sit and people watch for hours.


The view of Torquay from our boat

Emperor Penguins at Living Coast - Torquay

Torquay Harbour

I would love to revisit Devon and do a little more exploring sometime in the near future as there are definitely places that my boyfriend and I didn't quite get time to visit. I've heard amazing things about the beaches and country parks so they will 100% be on my list for next time. Omg! How could I forget?! I didn't even manage to try the ever so famous scones. I guess it looks like I have a certain reason to return now.

What did you all get up to during the bank holiday weekend?

Love,

Hannah

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. It looks lovely place for getaway :) I haven't done much as I'm sick :(

    Laura
    https://pinkfrenzymissl.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh lovely blog xx must get some tips off you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Such a nice place...
    https://theurbanbrownie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had such an amazing time! It seems like there is so much to see and do, so I hope you get to go back soon xx

    Hannah | luxuryblush

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG those penguins are just too cute!

    Vanessa x | www.springlilies.com

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe